Monday, September 7, 2009

A Evening With A Master Griot



On September 6th I went to the Tin angel at Sarranos on 2nd street in Philadelphia to see on of the most influential musican/poet in my life time. Gil Scott Heron,
a true blast from the past and word revolutionary. Just like the Last Poets he brought words and music laced with social commentary to the masses of the black community and they loved him for it. A modern day moses of his day he came to Philly to share his classic's Winter in America, In the Bottle, The Revolution will not be televised, and losing Detroit. I got a chance to shake the hand of this legend, meet him face to face and to look into the soul of a man with so much insight of the world around him. I fashioned a lot of my music to his style of writing and delivery
due to listening to his Albums over and over again. Although his life has been peppered with troubles, he has always found a way to over come his demons and
sing about it.

No comments: